This is a richly colored original painting by American artist Charles W. Stetson. Oil on canvas, 9 x 14 inches, 1893, signed and dated in the lower left corner, in what appears to be the original gilt frame. Charles Stetson was a self taught artist and founding member of the Providence Art Club. He was known as a 'colorist' for his richly hued landscapes and figure studies, many of which have a dreamlike, allegorical quality. Memorial exhibits of his work were shown at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, the Detroit Museum of Art, and the Metropolitan Museum, New York.